Human body is beautifully designed to be active and fit. And the key to staying healthy; both physically and mentally is through a well maintainedbalance diet and exercise. Stereotypically here in North East, we think that exercise is meant only for the flabby people and a lean person exercising is being ridiculed. Being health conscious is also looked down upon. And that misconception itself is unhealthy per se. So ditched those misconceptions and comments on a garbage bag and dump it on your backyard because staying fit,can be achieved only if we educate ourselves first on a well maintained diet and proper exercise.
A healthy diet may improve health, as a person would automatically maintain a normal weight by limiting consumption of energy- dense foods and sugary drinks, eating more vegetables and fruits, limiting the consumption of red and processed meat and limiting alcohol intake. A healthy diet and proper exercise provides the body with essential nutrients and may lower the risk of diseases like obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cancer. Therefore we need to maintain a balance diet. A balance diet includes consumption of all the nutrients: carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins, fibre and water. Nutrition is a basic requisite to sustain life. Variety in food is not only the spice of life but also the essence of health. We need to consume limited amount of calories needed per day which we can consume in the form of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and lean proteins.
Tips to a balance diet:
- Do not skip Lunch. Our body and mind are accustomed to routine. So make sure you follow a specific routine.
- Take small portions of every item and savor it. Remember the golden rule, Do Not Hog your food as it will reduce the risk of overeating.
- Eat five times a day. Ensure that you eat balance food. Example. Banana and milk for breakfast, some greenies during lunch, fruit salad as evening snack and some meat with vegetables for dinner.
- Drink plenty of water. Keeping yourself hydrated will help the cells to function properly and also help in blood circulation.
- Reduce the amount of sugar intake to reduce aging and also to prevent yourself from various diesases
- Here is a fun fact: Eating salads daily may keep your brain 11 years younger! So what are you waiting for? Start the mantra today.
Fitness and exercisego hand in hand. Fitness is a person’s adaptability to cope with different situations holistically.Ladies, being physically fit is not just about having an hour glass body or not having fat dangling from your arms when waving. Gentlemen, it is not just about having six pack or how much weigh you can bench mark. These are all good stuff, but there is more to that. Fitness is a broad spectrum of all the aspectsi.e, mental, social, emotional and physical, which are intertwined in a web designthat includes its overall fitness. Physical fitness can help prevent or treat many chronic health conditions brought about by unhealthy lifestyle or aging. Working out will also help us sleep better and alleviate mood disorders which indirectly helps to stabilize emotional and mental fitness too. Fitness helps control blood pressure: staying active and exercising regularly builds up a stronger heart. Engaging in physical activity raises blood pressure, so the more physical activity one engages in, chances are, a more ‘fit’ individual. It also prevents Cancer, provides anti-inflammatory effect in the body, boosts our immune system, and helps to control weight control. For a woman, it helps in preventing weight gain after menopause, reduce the risk of breast cancer, strengthen the bones, reduce the risk of heart disease, and boost our mood by improving our psychological health.
Now, shall we talk MORE about the benefits of exercise?
- Exercise benefits all parts of the body, including the mind.
- Exercise will help you look better as the calories burned makes you look more toned.
- Exercise helps you lose weight and lower the risk of some diseases.
- Exercise can help a person age well.
Some fun tips for busy people with no time for exercise:
- #Rule No. 1 is to keep exercise a priority. Confused? It may sound contradictory but the key is to keep your exercise routine flexible and make fitness a way of life. You may consider yourself as bill gates and make excuses blaming your busy schedule. But every Tom, Dick and Harry has their own share of work too. You just have to be a little creative in your exercise routine by walking to the office instead of taking a cab or walk up and down the stairs. Remember that not just formal exercise but all physical activity adds up to a healthier you.
- Make use of your leisure time to clean chores or run errands just to keep you moving around.
- How about exercising while watching television? Yes, it’s possible. Small things like getting off your couch to change into your favorite channel or doing a stretching routine during your favorite show will help you benefit.
The panacea to maintaining a good health consistently is not at all difficult. We just need to eat healthy, live healthy and think healthy as simple as that. But the path to that requires a little afford.
Eating healthy should include:
- A diet chart with the right amount of nutrients needed for a day.
- Avoid junk food.
- Avoid overeating but eat consistent.
Living healthy should include:
- Maintain a proper exercise routine.
- Lose weight if you are overweight to control blood pressure, high cholesterol level, heart disease and stroke.
- Protect your skin as it linked to skin cancer. Choose sunscreen that has both UVA and UVB rays which should be at least SPF 15.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco as it harms our body by causing mouth, throat and lung cancer and also higher the risk of heart disease.
- Limit the intake of alcohol. Alcohol abuse has never led to positive result ever in human history. It only leads to a more violent behavior and can possibly damage your liver and cause cancers, such as, throat, liver, or pancreas.
Thinking healthy includes thinking positive and also sleeping at the right time for 7-8 hours a day. And also a smile on your face to add up a little spice to it doesn’t even hurt at all. Or does it?