With a motivation profoundly established in customs and traditions, Asa Kazingmei charmed India with his remarkable presentation called, ‘Immortal’ at Gen Next fashion show in the year 2012. And yet again in 2014, he reigned the Lakme Fashion Week with his very own, “Changvei”, a collection dominated with blacks where the outfits were thick with leathers and bolts that displayed a massive vigour. It was inspired by the magnificent shields of the Naga warriors. Asa was born in 1989 to a humble home in a town called Lunghar, which is located in the district of Ukhrul in Manipur. Blessed with lovely parents who are cultivators, Asa is the second among his seven siblings. Growing up, he was generally more intrigued by the concept of art rather than books and he found an interest in altering his garments and his friends’. Apart from the enthusiasm for art, Martial-art was additionally one of his most loved fads where he went on to become one of the youngest black-belt defender. Although the solitary type, he was an entertainer and he won several medals in District and State level karate competitions. Post his 10+2, he went to Mumbai to pursue his enthusiasm and joined the INIFD for Fashion outlining. By the end of the course; he worked for a few planners, the eminent one being the Head Designer for Amber and Shirrin for 4 years. In 2012, he got his huge break. Asa launched his collection called, “Unfading” as one of the 7 Gen Next Designers chosen by Lakme Fashion Week, from more than 250 candidates all over India. In 2015, he showcased his piece named, ‘Indentiteta’ at an International Fashion Design Exhibition in Slovenia, where he received a good amount of admiration. Asa’s works aren’t the only thing that has inspired me and probably a thousand other people, but what had me moved was the story of his journey. I was delighted to have a tête-à-tête with a humble visionary whose mind brims with a peculiar kind of artistry that will take him many places.
What sparked your interest in fashion?
– I was always interested in modifying my clothes ever since I was young kid. I was passionate about wanting to be different from others. That is when I made up my mind to explore and learn more about it so I could achieve my passion.
How do you select the materials that you use?
– I usually choose the materials according to the idea of my designs.
How many collections do you own so far?
– I have own 4 collections altogether. Immortal, Changvei, Repnotic and Identiteta
What are you working on at the moment?
– I’m working on the costume for Salman Khan at Bigg Boss.
How would you describe the style that you portray in your designs?
– Edgy, experimental, rugged and rough, yet elegant.
Your thoughts on the North East designers?
– Well, I would like our NE designers to be able to own a platform and stand out in the crowd for their creativity and talent. I love to support them in any way I can.
What is your favourite part about being a fashion designer?
– I love experimenting new clothes/designs to create something that hasn’t been done before.
What is it like receiving international acclamations and how does it feel to see celebrities wear the clothes that you’ve designed?
– To see celebrities wear your designs is pure joy. It feels amazing and I’m proud of myself.
What outfit is a big ‘No’ for you?
– Well there are no such clothes that I do not like but as far as I’m concerned, I do not really fit in formal clothes. Haha.
Tell us one thing you’ve learnt throughout your journey in the fashion industry.
– I have learnt and experienced many wonderful things in this competitive industry but one thing that has made me stand out in the crowd is that no matter what circumstances I face, I never give up. I give my 100% best in everything I do.
So what future plans do you have as of now?
– I would love to go abroad and showcase my collection and keep growing bigger and expand my brand till the end.
Asa Kazingmei has additionally been connected with bollywood motion pictures and noted superstars. He has worked with Ashley Robello for London Dream, Anaita Shroff for Bang and Mirzya.
Hrithik Roshan, Salman Khan, Amir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Varun Dhavan, Kajol and Katrina Kaif are some of the celebrities that have worn Asa’s Haute Couture. His works have alone been included in prestigious magazines like VOGUE, ELLE, Women’s Era and GRAZIA. To get in touch with him, follow him on Facebook.
Northeast Window Bureau